Internet and Email as We Know It.
Many people are accustom to getting an email address with their Internet Service Provider (ISP). It’s as old as the hole in a donut. ISP email is just a given then, “I get internet service, I get an email address… right?”
There are many good reasons NOT to use an ISP email account. We will go through the opportunities and obstacles and explain why we feel offering email is more of a con than a pro.
What’s So Bad About An ISP Email Address?
In the early days of ISPs, there were no free email providers. So it was merely part of the package to provide email as part of the connection and (web) hosting services. Flash forward to present times, and more people prefer email hosts that are separate from their ISP.
Today, providing email service is far from the top priority for many ISPs. Some ISPs are no longer offering email to new clients, leaving existing customers chained to a poorly-supported offering.
If you have hundreds of contacts and thousands of old messages, a new email address is a migraine in the making
There are Also Obstacles for the Customer.
- When you leave your old ISP, you may lose access to your previous email address. If you have hundreds of contacts and thousands of old messages, it is a migraine in the making.
- Many ISPs severely limit email storage space. You may also face a marked file-size limit for email attachments.
- The technology used isn’t always up to date, a third-party host manages the service, or the web interface and mail client connectivity are so horrible users are left frustrated.
- There are a few ISPs that charge a separate fee for these underperforming email services.
Advantages of Email Hosts Versus ISP Email
- Email services are their top priority.
- There are often free tiers that are better than ISP-hosted email.
- You will always have the same email address, no matter how many times you change your ISP.
- Most services offer large amounts of (free) email storage space with fewer limitations on attachment file size.
- Most services use a modern, simple interface, making it easy to read, send, and manage messages.
- Other benefits are offered, such as online calendars, file storage, photo storage, and maps.
Offering the Best Services at Fair Prices
The promise at Wave Rural Connect is to continue the member-like experience of our parent Arkansas Valley Electric Cooperative Corporation. We are an Arkansas-based provider with local people administering the services. Being a smaller fiber services provider means costs per user are magnified when offering hosted services and hardware. Dedicating the support staff needed would take away from the personal member support and service experience you deserve.
For these reasons, we feel it is best to leave the choice of email provider up to you. There are many free and paid providers whose services are enhanced by the fiber internet speeds we offer. Below is a short list of possibilities.
Picking Out a New Email Host
First, you have to decide between free and paid. The most straightforward answer is it comes down to what features you want, and do you mind display ads in your interface or email window.